What Are The Penalties For a False Accusation of Domestic Violence in NJ?

Posted July 28th, 2023.

Categories: Blog.

police officer interrogating suspect

If someone makes a false accusation and says that someone else committed domestic violence, they might face some punishment. However, the potential punishments faced by the person that they are accusing are much more severe. If you have been falsely accused of domestic violence, you need to do everything that you can to make sure that these charges do not stick. A New Jersey criminal defense attorney from our firm can help you with that.

Can Someone Be Punished for Making a False Accusation?

Your accuser can be punished if it is confirmed that they have made a false claim. Filing a police report meant to incriminate someone else can be a crime of the fourth degree, and that could result in a prison sentence of up to 18 months. They could also be forced to pay fees that would reimburse the state for the cost of its investigations.

What Should I Avoid After Being Accused of Domestic Violence?

If you are accused of domestic violence, stay silent. Do not try talking to the police in hopes that you can clear things up. You are dealing with a false accusation, but that does not mean that you are not dealing with some serious charges. Have a defense attorney handle all communications for you.

Also, do not try talking to the person who accused you of domestic violence. Some defendants think that this is just a mixup and that they can clear up the situation on their own. Trying to talk to your accuser at this stage is a bad idea.

How Can My Lawyer Help Me Fight This False Accusation?

Mark S. Guralnick has years of experience as an investigator and news reporter, and he is willing to put that experience to work for you. Your lawyer will do their best to help you find the evidence you need to make your case and prove that you are being falsely accused. If there is an alibi to investigate or witnesses to talk to, you can be sure that your lawyer is on it.

Can I Sue My Accuser in Civil Court?

If you are successful in your criminal court case, you may be able to pursue a case in civil court. If your accuser knowingly lied and did so to hurt your reputation or cause you harm, you may be able to sue.

You can try to recover damages from your accuser and make up for some of the costs of your court case. You had to pay fees to a lawyer. You probably missed work and lost out on some paychecks. A false accusation could also have hurt your reputation. If you are a business owner or a professional who relies on your reputation, you should be entitled to compensation.

Contact Our Law Firm Today

Even if you have been falsely accused, you must treat domestic violence charges seriously. Contact the Law Offices of Mark S. Guralnick and let us go to work for you. We will do everything that we can to help you clear your name and restore your reputation.

Share this Post

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

Contact Us Today for a No-Fee Consultation!

Timely, effective legal services with down-to-Earth, common sense advice, provided to individuals, businesses, and organizations.

The legal team at the Law Offices of Mark S. Guralnick is happy to assist you with your legal problems, no matter how big or small. We serve clients throughout the United States and across the world.

Feel free to contact us toll-free at 1-866-337-2900.

    8 College
    6 Specialty
    9 Bar
    10 Law
    8 Professional
    30+ Years of
    100+ Published

    Licensed as a private detective, Mark Guralnick is a former investigative news reporter, and leverages these skills and experiences to deliver excellent client service while finding smart, practical, cost-effective solutions.

    See What We Can Do For You
    Back to Top