What Legal Rights Do I Have as an Attorney’s Client?
Posted July 28th, 2022.
Categories: Legal Malpractice.
If you hire an attorney to represent you in any type of lawsuit, you should know that you have several rights as a client. Hopefully, your attorney will honor these rights, fulfill their duty of care, and achieve a favorable outcome for you. But unfortunately, more often than expected, attorneys can act with negligence in such a way that it negatively impacts their client’s case. So if you find yourself in this upsetting situation where you believe your rights as a client were violated and you lost your case as a result, your instincts are likely correct, and you likely have a legal malpractice claim on your hands. In any event, follow along to learn more about your rights as an attorney’s client and how a seasoned New Jersey legal malpractice attorney can help you hold the careless attorney accountable.
What are my rights as an attorney’s client?
Overall, regardless of the legal matter at hand, you should be guaranteed certain privileges and rights from the attorney that you hire and entrust in handling your case. Generally, your rights as a client include open communication and honest dedication to your best interest. More specific examples of your basic rights include, but are not limited to, the following:
- You, as a client, should receive candid legal advice from your attorney.
- You, as a client, should receive regular updates from your attorney as developments occur in your case.
- You, as a client, should receive reasonable expectations from your attorney as to how your case will pan out.
- You, as a client, should always give specific permission before your attorney takes an action in your case, such as entering a settlement agreement.
- You, as a client, should be prepped properly by your attorney for the legal proceedings to come.
- You, as a client, should be able to trust that your attorney will stay organized, such as storing all files properly, taking action before deadlines, etc.
If you believe your rights as a client were violated in any of the above ways, you can receive justice with the help of one of our competent attorneys at our legal malpractice law firm located in Cherry Hill. Give us a call today to schedule your free initial consultation. We are ready to fight for you.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
If you require the services of a dedicated legal malpractice attorney in New Jersey, please contact The Law Offices of Mark S. Guralnick today for a free consultation.