How Can a Dashcam Help You Win Your Car Accident Case?
Posted May 19th, 2023.
It can be hard to prove negligence after a car accident, but having video footage of the crash can certainly make it a bit easier to build a case. If you have a dashcam in your vehicle, you might just be able to show who is really at fault for an accident. A Cherry Hill personal injury attorney can then help you pursue the compensation that you deserve.
What Can a Dashcam Show?
A dashcam can show the moment of the accident. You could have footage of another driver:
- Running a stop sign
- Ignoring a traffic signal
- Not yielding the right of way
- Driving erratically
Another driver can claim that you are responsible for an accident, but if you have footage like this they are going to have a hard time disputing your side of the story.
Is Using a Dashcam Legal?
The good news is that using a dashcam is completely legal in New Jersey. You just need to place it somewhere where it cannot interfere with your view of the road.
How Can a Personal Injury Attorney Help Me?
If you have dashcam footage, we recommend that you show it to an attorney before you do anything else. Handing it over to the cops or an insurance company seems like a smart enough idea. This will show that you are not at fault and then the whole thing gets wrapped up, right?
Things do not always work out this way though, so you should have someone in your corner looking out for your interests. An attorney can:
- Communicate on your behalf so that you do not have to worry about saying the wrong things
- Gather evidence that, along with the dashcam footage, can fortify your case
- Field settlement offers and calculate fair compensation
- Answer any questions that you have about the legal process
You are not required to hire an attorney, but having one on your side can make a difference.
What Should My Compensation Cover?
An initial offer from an insurance company is rarely enough to actually compensate you for what you have been through. Having dashcam footage can make it easier to fight for a fair compensation offer that can help make up for all of the costs resulting from your accident including:
- The cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle
- Medical bills of you and your passengers
- Any wages you lose if you miss work due to your injuries
- Mental anguish and psychological trauma experienced as a result of the accident
- Any other pain and suffering
Your settlement needs to cover the financial costs of your accident, but it also needs to address the emotional turmoil such an event can cause for victims and their loved ones.
Schedule Your Initial Consultation
If you have dashcam footage that shows that someone else was to blame for an accident that caused you or a loved one injuries, you have to act. Contact the Law Offices of Mark S. Guralnick and we will set up a consultation that can tell you more about your legal options.