Questions To Ask When Checking a Reference
- What is the applicant’s name?
- Who were the applicant’s supervisors, department managers, and co-workers?
- Who were the applicant’s clients or customers?
- What is the actual legal name of your business?
- In which department or unit was the applicant employed?
- What were the applicant’s dates of employment?
- What was the applicant’s job title?
- What were the applicant’s working hours?
- Did the job require shift work?
- What were the essential duties and key functions of the job?
- How much did the applicant earn during the course of employment?
- What were the starting and ending salaries?
- How many pay raises did the applicant receive?
- How would you characterize the applicant’s job performance and productivity?
- What was the applicant’s attendance record? His history of punctuality?
- How would you characterize the applicant’s relationship with co-workers?
- How would you characterize the applicant’s relationship with customers or clients?
- Did the applicant have a good attitude? A good outlook? A good disposition?
- How did the applicant’s job come to an end?
- If terminated, why was the applicant terminated?
- What would you say were the applicant’s strengths on the job?
- What were the applicant’s weaknesses?
- Are you aware of any issues that impacted the applicant’s performance on the job?
- Did the applicant receive any promotions during the tenure with your firm?
- Did the applicant receive any demotions or disciplinary sanctions while working for you?
- If disciplined, what were the circumstances?
- Did the applicant have any supervisory power over others?
- How many people did the applicant supervise?
- How would you rate the applicant’s supervisory skills?
- Have you had an opportunity to observe the applicant under stressful conditions?
- Does the applicant handle pressure well?
- Did you have a performance evaluation system at your firm?
- Was the application evaluated?
- What were the highlights of the evaluation?
- May I obtain copies of the previous performance evaluations?
- Do you think of this applicant more as a solo worker or a team player? Why?
- What would you say were the applicant’s biggest challenges at your place of employment?
- Do you see any areas of improvement for this application?
- The applicant is being considered for the job of [fill in] at our company. This job involves [describe job duties]. Do you think the applicant would be suitable for this kind of work?
- Is the applicant eligible for rehire at your company? Why or why not?
- Who else would you recommend that I speak with concerning this applicant?
- Is there anything else about this applicant you wish to mention, or that might assist us in our selection process?
30+ Years of