Questions about name
- Is that your original name?
- Did you change your name at some point?
- What was your maiden name?
- Is that last name Russian? It sounds Russian.
- Is that middle name a confirmation name?
- What is your spouse’s name?
- What are you children’s names?
- What are your parents’ names?
Questions about nationality
- Where were you born?
- Are you a U.S. citizen?
- Where were your parents born?
- What’s your background?
- Where are you from originally?
- How long have you lived here?
- Are you a citizen of any other countries? Which ones?
- Where does your spouse live?
- Where do your children live?
- Do you live with your parents?
- Do you own your home or rent it?
Questions about religion
- What religious faith do you celebrate?
- Do you consider yourself a religious person?
- How do you celebrate your faith?
- Do you believe in God?
- Do you believe in an afterlife?
- Do you believe in the Bible?
- Do you adhere to the Ten Commandments?
- Do you follow Jesus Christ?
- Which church do you belong to?
- Were your kids mitzvahed?
- Were your children baptized?
- Has your son/daughter had a confirmation ceremony yet?
- What does your family do for Christmas?
- Will you need time off for Yom Kippur or Rosh Hashana?
- Do you celebrate Easter?
Questions about age
- What is the date of your birth? (Date of birth can be requested, however, to determine if an applicant meets a minimum age requirement).
- What is your driver’s license number? (Such numbers often contain a birth date or age reference).
- How old is your spouse?
- How old are your children?
- What year did you graduate from high school?
- How many more years do you expect to work?
- How old were you when you worked for ABC Corporation?
Questions about race and color
- What color do you consider yourself?
- What color are your eyes?
- What color is your hair?
Questions about language
- What language did you learn to speak first?
- What language do you speak at home?
- Where did you learn to read and write English?
- What foreign languages do you speak? (However, an applicant may be asked about fluency in a foreign language if it is related to the job).
Questions about club and group memberships
- Do you belong to the Knights of Columbus?
- Did your family participate in B’nai Birth?
- Gamma Phi Delta? What sorority is that?
- Were you a member of the Brehon Law Society? (The Brehon Law Society is an organization of Irish attorneys).
- Which social groups and private clubs do you belong to?
- Are you a member of the Electrical Workers’ Union?
- Do you plan to join the union if you get this job?
- Have you ever been denied membership in a group because of your religion or race?
Questions about sex, gender, and orientation
- Do you have any problem being supervised by a man/woman?
- Would you have any difficulty managing a man/woman?
- Do you relate well with members of the opposite sex?
- What do you think about dating co-workers?
- Why should I hire a woman to do a job that’s been typically held by a man?
- Will you be needing information about benefits for domestic partners?
- What is the name of the relative to be notified in case of an emergency?
- Are you gay?
Questions about marriage and family
- Do you prefer Miss, Mrs. Or Ms.?
- Are you married?
- Do you plan to get married in the near future?
- Are you engaged?
- Do you have any children?
- Are you planning a family in the future?
- Can you get a babysitter on short notice if we have overtime work for you?
- Where do your kids go to school?
- What does your husband/wife do for a living?
- What do your parents do for a living?
- Have your wages ever been garnished for child support or otherwise?
Questions about military service
- Have you ever served in the armed services of another country?
- Have you been notified to report for duty anywhere?
- How were you discharged from the Army?
- Did you suffer any injuries while in the service?
Questions about criminal background
- Have you ever been arrested?
- How many times have you been arrested?
- For what crimes were you arrested?
- What were you charged with?
Questions about disabilities
- Are you in good health?
- What medical or hospital treatment have you had in the last five years?
- Do you have any physical handicaps or limitations?
- Do you have any mental problems or disabilities?
- How tall are you?
- How much do you weigh?
- Do you take drugs?
- Do you smoke or consume alcoholic beverages?
- How often do you call out sick?
- How many sick days did you take in the last year?
- Did you require any family or medical leave at your last job?
- Do you go to a psychiatrist or other counselor for any reason?
- Is somebody in your family disabled?
- Are you collecting workers’ compensation benefits? Have you done so in the past?
- Have you ever been injured on the job in the past?
Other problematic questions
- Do you live nearby?
- What kind of neighborhood is that?
- How far is your commute?
- Do you have any debts?
- Are you working with a credit counselor?
- Has your house ever been foreclosed?
- Have you ever filed for bankruptcy?
- Have you ever filed a prior equal employment opportunity claim?
- What kinds of things do you do when you are off duty?
- Are you a veteran? Did you serve in Iraq or Afghanistan?